Skip to content
Home ยป What to do if your dog eats chocolate home remedies?

What to do if your dog eats chocolate home remedies?

What to do if your dog eats chocolate home remedies?
Spread the love

There are many types of chocolate, and each type can have different effects on dogs. Theobromine and caffeine are two substances found in chocolate that can be toxic to dogs. Theobromine is found in all chocolate, while caffeine is found in dark chocolate and baking chocolate.

Based on survey data, 22% of dogs that ate chocolate showed clinical signs of toxicity, and 8.7% of those required treatment.

The severity of chocolate toxicity in dogs depends on the type of chocolate, the amount consumed, and the size of the dog. Theobromine is more slowly absorbed and has a longer half-life than caffeine. Dogs metabolize theobromine more slowly than humans. Chocolate with a high cocoa content is more dangerous. Baker’s chocolate has the highest cocoa content, followed by dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and milk chocolate. The minimum theobromine dose that produced clinical signs in dogs was 100 mg/kg. The median lethal dose (LD50) of theobromine in dogs is 1000 mg/kg.

Based on studies by the ASPCA and other organizations, the following are the approximate lethal doses of chocolate for dogs:

  • For a 10-pound dog: 9 ounces
  • For a 20-pound dog: 18 ounces
  • For a 30-pound dog: 1 pound
  • For a 40-pound dog: 1.5 pounds
  • For a 50-pound dog: 2 pounds
  • For a 60-pound dog: 2.5 pounds
  • For a 70-pound dog: 3 pounds
  • For an 80-pound dog: 3.5 pounds
  • For a 90-pound dog: 4 pounds

My dog ate chocolate how long before symptoms?

The clinical signs of chocolate toxicity in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and death. The signs can occur within 6-12 hours after ingestion and can last for 3-5 days. Treatment is typically supportive and includes decontamination (e.g. induced vomiting), administration of activated charcoal, and IV fluids.

if your dog has eaten chocolate you should:

  1. If your dog has eaten chocolate, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian.
  2. If your veterinarian is not available, you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
  3. Be prepared to give them information about your dog, such as the breed, age, weight, and any symptoms you may have observed.
  4. Based on this information, they will be able to give you specific instructions on what to do next.
  5. If possible, try to remove any remaining chocolate from your dog’s reach.
  6. Monitor your dog closely for any symptoms of chocolate poisoning, such as vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, increased urination, restlessness, or tremors.
  7. If your dog begins to show any of these symptoms, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center immediately.

There are a few home remedies that can help relieve some of the symptoms associated with chocolate poisoning in dogs.

Home remedies if your dog eats chocolate

Induce vomiting or laxative

  1. If your dog eats chocolate, the best way to try to get it out of their system is to induce vomiting. You can do this by giving them water and apple cider vinegar mixed together, or by giving them a laxative. If this doesn’t work, you may need to take your dog to the vet.

Induce vomiting with water and apple cider vinegar

  • Mix together 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
  • Give this to your dog to drink.
  • Your dog should vomit within 15-30 minutes.
  • If your dog does not vomit, repeat the process.
  • If your dog still does not vomit after 2 hours, call your veterinarian.

Give your dog a laxative

  • Give your dog 1 teaspoon of mineral oil for every 10 pounds of body weight.
  • Mix the mineral oil into your dog’s food.
  • Feed your dog their normal amount of food.
  • Your dog should have a bowel movement within 6-8 hours.
  • If your dog does not have a bowel movement within 8 hours, call your veterinarian.

Other home remedies

  1. If your dog has eaten chocolate and is vomiting and isn’t showing any other signs of illness, you can try to give them water and milk to drink. You can also give them activated charcoal to drink.
  2. If your dog has eaten chocolate and is showing signs of illness, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or being lethargic, you should take them to the vet. The vet can do a blood test to see if your dog has eaten chocolate and will also do a fecal exam to see if chocolate has been digested.

Conclusion – What to do if your dog eats chocolate home remedies?

If your dog has ingested a large amount of chocolate, it is best to take your dog to the vet or an animal hospital immediately. However, if it has only eaten a small amount of chocolate, you may be able to wait a few hours and monitor your dog for signs of chocolate poisoning. If you think it may have eaten chocolate, but you are not sure, it is best to err on the side of caution and take your dog to the vet or animal hospital. Chocolate is poisonous to dogs and can cause serious health problems.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.